1 implied though not directly expressed; inherent in the nature of something; "an implicit agreement not to raise the subject"; "there was implicit criticism in his voice"; "anger was implicit in the argument"; "the oak is implicit in the acorn" [syn: inexplicit] [ant: explicit]
2 being without doubt or reserve; "implicit trust" [syn: unquestioning]
- Rhymes with: -ɪsɪt
- Implied indirectly, without being directly expressed
- Contained in the essential nature of something but not openly shown
- Having no reservations or doubts; unquestioning or unconditional; usually
said of faith or trust.
- 1765, Anonymous,
Considerations on Behalf of the Colonists
- He is not only a zealous advocate for pusilanimous and passive obedience, but for the most 'implicit faith in the dictatorial mandates of power.
- 1765, Anonymous, Considerations on Behalf of the Colonists
- entangled, twisted together.
contained in the essential nature
unquestioning or unconditional
- Finnish: ehdoton
- French: absolu, aveugle
- Japanese: 絶対の(ぜったいの, zettaino)
- Russian: безусловный, полный, безоговорочный
Implication can refer to:
- Implicit can mean to imply indirectly, that is to not state it directly.
absolute, adducible, admissible, admitting no exception, all-out, attestative, attestive, authentic, based on, categorical, certain, circumstantial, clear, complete, conclusive, constructive, convincing, cumulative, damning, decided, decisive, deep-seated, definite, definitive, determinate, determinative, documentary, documented, downright, entire, esoteric, evidential, evidentiary, ex parte, explicit, express, eye-witness, factual, final, firsthand, fixed, flat, flat-out, founded on, full, genuine, global, grounded on, hearsay, immanent, implanted, implied, inalienable, inappealable, inarticulate, incontrovertible, indicative, indirect, indisputable, indwelling, inferable, inferential, inferred, infixed, ingrained, inherent, inner, internal, intrinsic, inward, inwrought, irreducible, irrefutable, irresistible, latent, material, nuncupative, out-and-out, outright, overwhelming, peremptory, perfect, positive, practical, presumptive, private, probative, real, reliable, resident, round, secret, sheer, significant, straight, straight-out, subjective, suggestive, sure, symptomatic, tacit, taken for granted, telling, total, unalienable, unalloyed, unchallengeable, uncircumscribed, unconditional, unconditioned, undeclared, understood, undiluted, undoubting, unequivocal, unexpressed, unhampered, unhesitating, unlimited, unmistakable, unmitigated, unqualified, unquestionable, unquestioned, unquestioning, unreserved, unrestricted, unsaid, unspoken, unuttered, unwaivable, utter, valid, virtual, weighty, whole, wholehearted, without exception, without reserve, wordless